If you have a sweet tooth then you’ll want to grab a few of these chewy coconut cookies. These cookies are a cross between coconut macaroons and Jamaican grater cakes. They are made chewy by using condensed milk instead of sugar. I wanted to keep these simple so along with the coconut and condensed milk, I added pistachio, dried cranberries and white chocolate chips. Since there’s no flour, egg, butter or sugar in these cookies, so can I still call them a “cookie”? Anyhow, if you can think of a better name for these comment below. But for the purpose of this post, I’m going with Chewy Coconut Cookies.
Every year around Christmas time, I make something that requires condensed milk. This year, I made Jamaican style carrot juice ( check out the recipe here) and ended up with about half a can of condensed milk left in my fridge. So, I went to the pantry to see what I could use to make a quick recipe with the remaining milk and I found these ingredients.
It’s so quick and easy to make, literally stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl, scoop onto a cookie sheet and pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes and voila! These “cookies” were born.
I wish I could sit here and tell you that there are some health benefits to these but honestly, I’d be lying to you. This is for pure indulgence! They are to be enjoyed once in a while.
How Does it Taste
These cookies have a nice balance. They’re moist and chewy from the condensed milk and white chocolate chips. They’re a little tart from the dried cranberries and nutty from the pistachios. These are perfect, right out the oven when they’re still warm and gooey.
Make It Your Own Way
The measurements I’m giving in the recipe are loose. Which means, you can change out pistachios and dried cranberries for another type of dried fruit or nuts. I simply used what I had. But this would also be great with almonds, peanuts or even pecans. I don’t recommend oily nuts like walnuts or cashews because they might make the final cookie a little oil in the taste.
Here are the ingredients and instructions for this chewy coconut cookie. Please comment, do you have a favorite coconut cookie? Any ideas on another name for them? Check out my Instagram reels, stories and daily posts.
Chewy Coconut Cookies
- Large bowl
- Large mixing spoon
- Cookie sheet – lined with parchment paper
- 2 1/4 Cups Coconut flakes -lightly crushed using your hands
- 3/4 Cup Condensed milk -slightly warmed
- 1/4 Cup White chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup Dried cranberries
- 1/4 Cup Salted Pistachio -crushed (If you're using unsalted nuts, then you'll need to add a pinch of salt)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until combined. Note: It will be really sticky. (See note below)
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to portion out onto cookie sheet. It will be stick so you might have to use your hands to form it once it's on the cookie sheet. Don't worry about spacing them out because these will not rise or spread.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. You'll know they're done when the top starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy! These are delectable straight out the oven.
- If your mixture is too sticky and not coming together, add a little more crushed coconut flakes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To reheat, pop in the microwave for about 15 secs.
If you like coconut check out my coconut ginger macaroons recipe.