If you haven’t had crispy lentil fritters then you’re missing out on life… especially if you’re a foodie like me. In my spicy curry lentils post, I noted the versatility of lentils. This fritter recipe is made using the leftovers from those spicy curry lentils. These fritters are not only crispy, but they’re scrumptious, and bursting with flavor from the curry and spices. Freshly shredded carrots and sweet corn are added for texture and sweetness.
I made these lentil fritters thinking “dinner is done” before taking my kids out to the park and for frozen yogurt. I came home to the empty platter. My husband devoured them! He said he couldn’t resist, they were that good.
If you haven’t tried lentils yet then it’s definitely the ingredient that you want to have in your pantry. Lentils are loaded with protein, fiber and low in fat. It’s great in soups, side dishes, wraps, and now fritters… So what are you waiting for, give lentils a try! Below you will find my recipe and instructions. Only a few steps to get these delicious goodies.
Crispy Lentil Fritters
- Food processor or potato masher
- 1 Cup Cooked lentils-see my recipe
- 1 Cup Frozen corn kernels-thawed
- 1/2 Cup Carrots-shredded
- 2 Stalks Scallions-chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh cilantro-chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tsp Sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 Large Egg-beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for Frying-I use sunflower oil
- Pulse lentils in food processor a few times to break down just slightly. You still want it to be textured.
- Pulse thawed corn kernels in food processor a few times to breakdown just slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lentils, corn, shredded carrots, scallion, cilantro, thyme leaves, flour, egg, paprika. Add in a little salt and black pepper to taste.
- Heat oil to high temperature to start. Scoop about 2 Tbsp of lentil mixture for each fritter into hot oil and return heat to medium high. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove fritters from oil and place on a cooling rack lined with paper towel.
- For frying I use sunflower oil. You can use any seed or nut oil for frying.
- These fritters are very light so you need to use a cooling rack to drain excess oil as they cool.
So there you have it, crispy lentil fritters. I served mine on a salad with homemade spicy Sriracha dressing. Am I missing any other ways to eat these healthy legumes? If so, please comment below and let me know. If you’re still not convinced, here are 7 reasons to give lentils a try.