This Caribbean inspired green seasoning chicken takes your plain chicken to the next level. The chicken is cut into pieces and marinated in a classic island green seasoning that consists of fresh cilantro, garlic, scallions, thyme, lime juice and red pepper flakes.
These herbs and spices are crushed together in a mortar and pestle with a little extra virgin olive oil. I use a mortar and pestle because I want to extract all the oils and flavors from the herbs and spices by crushing them. In contrast a food processor or blender simply cuts the ingredients and doesn’t draw out the essences enough for my liking. This is just my preference.
I marinate the chicken in the fridge for a few hours or a minimum of 30 minutes. Specifically, this allows the green seasoning to work it’s magic by soften and locking in the flavor of the herbs and spices. Each piece of chicken is left moist, tender and oh so delicious.
I like this green seasoning blend because it’s easy to make and I always have these ingredients in my fridge. It’s an easy addition to your dinner recipes and can please all taste buds.
Recipe for Easy Green Seasoning
- Roughly chop 1/2 bunch of cilantro and 2 scallion stalks
- Peel 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes or fresh hot pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Crush all ingredients except lime juice in a mortar and pestle until fully combined, then add lime juice
For this recipe I started with a whole chicken and cut it into pieces. I also removed the skin and since I’m marinating this for a few hours, I don’t have to worry about skinless chicken drying. However you can use skinless and boneless chicken if you prefer. The cooking time will change slightly, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken pieces. Regardless of the size of your pieces, always cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
This green seasoning marinade is not only great for chicken but can be added to beef, fish, soups, stews and just about anything! Here is the recipe with instructions. Do you make your own version of green seasoning? If so, how do you like to make it? Comment below and don’t forget to share and subscribe.
Easy Green Seasoning Chicken
- Cast iron skillet or similar
- 1 Whole Chicken -skin removed and cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp Green seasoning -see recipe above
- 1 Tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pour green seasoning onto chicken pieces and rub seasoning into all parts of the chicken. Cover tightly and leave in the fridge for about 2 hours or a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F while searing the chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non stick pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add in a few pieces of chicken at a time to sear on both sides – about 5 minutes or until golden and crispy (chicken will not be fully cooked at this time).
- Leaving chicken in cast iron skillet, carefully transfer it from stove to preheated oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through (about 15-20 minutes). About 5 minutes before removing from the oven, tip about 2 tbsp of water into the pan and gently move the chicken around to release and thicken the pan drippings.
- Remove chicken from oven and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and chopped scallions.
- Serve immediately with rice, vegetables or a side salad. Drizzle with the pan drippings as you serve!
- You can use fresh hot pepper instead of the pepper flakes, I just didn’t have fresh pepper at this time of this recipe.
- To make the dark meat chicken cook faster and evenly with the white meat, you can tap it gently to crack the bone in the thighs and leg pieces.
- If the chicken starts to dry out before it’s done, add about 1/4 cup of water and gently move the chicken around while continuing to bake.