I started experimenting with different flours a few weeks back and this gluten free chickpea flour flatbread turns out to be one of my favorites. I love it because it’s so easy to make, it’s nutrient dense and also affordable.
Similar to this 2- ingredients red lentil flatbread, this chickpeas flatbread is made with a few simple ingredients, chickpea flour, water, salt and olive oil. However, you know me, I have to dress it up a little. So, I added fresh herbs and a few spices to give it additional flavor.
Why I like Chickpea Flour
- Chickpeas are affordable and conveniently available in just about every grocery store and making chickpea flour is incredibly simple.
- Chickpea flour is versatile and pairs well with many different dishes.
- It’s a delicious option for gluten-free or vegan baked goods as well as a variety of comfort foods. When it’s used in savory dishes, you can hardly tell that it’s chickpea flour. The chickpea taste is minimal.
Health benefits of Chickpeas
- Chickpeas are packed with nutrients like folate, iron and fiber. It’s an excellent plant-based source of protein, hence the reason why vegans and vegetarians gravitate towards it. It has about 3 grams of protein per 1 ounce. Here are some more reasons to eat chickpeas.
- The protein and fiber in chickpeas work together to slow digestion which makes you feel full longer.
- It helps control blood sugar levels. With a low ranking on the glycemic index, it won’t rapidly increase your blood sugar after eating.
- Chickpeas help to reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases like diabetes heart disease and cancer
4 ways to eat Gluten Free Chickpea Flour Flatbread
- Fresh out the oven as a healthy nutrient dense midday snack.
- Healthy appetizer or side dish that pairs well with about any main dish.
- Gluten free vegan pizza crust. Top with fresh mozzarella cheese and your favorite veggies.
- Gluten free and vegan breakfast pancakes. Add in some berries and nuts into the batter. Drizzle over warm maple syrup for a healthy satisfying breakfast.
Now that you have all that information. Here are the ingredients and instructions to make this flatbread. Do you like chickpeas, how do you cook with it? Comment, below and let me know. Follow us on Instagram for daily postings and tips.
Gluten Free Chickpea Flour Flatbread Recipe
- Blender, food processor or grinder – to make chickpea flour
- Cast iron skillet or similar for baking – needs to be oven safe
- Whisk and spatula
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 Cup Chickpea flour
- 1 Cup Warm water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh herbs, spices *Optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, salt, warm water and 2 tbsp of the olive oil plus optional fresh herbs and spices. Let batter rest at room temperature for 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 420°F. And 10 minutes before baking preheat cast-iron skillet.
- When batter is ready, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Pour in batter and bake for 10-15 minutes. You'll know it's done when it's firm with crispy edges and golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan. Slice and serve immediately if you want to eat it warm.
- This flatbread is delicious immediately after baking while it’s still warm, but can be refrigerated and re-toasted for up to 1 week.
- If you don’t want to make your own chickpea flour, it’s available in most grocery stores. Look for it under the name “garbanzo bean flour” if not chickpea flour.