This ground curry chicken recipe could not be any easier to make. It’s bursting with the flavor of traditional Jamaican-style curry chicken but cooks in half the time. Adding sweet bell peppers and lemongrass along with the usual aromatics amps up the flavor even more. Prepping the ingredients will take a little time but it’s so worth it.
I love this dish not only because it’s a cinch to make but it’s also very versatile. You can eat it with your favorite rice, ground provision, over pasta (kids favorite) or even with flatbread and a nice salad. We ate it with cauliflower rice, which was also super easy to make. This dinner was done in under 30 minutes!
While this recipe has all the traditional flavors, I did add lemongrass or fever grass as it’s known in Jamaica. It added a mild lemon-minty flavor to the final dish. However, don’t go hunting down lemongrass or fever grass. If you don’t have it or can’t find it in your local grocery store then you can leave it out. But if you’re using it, chop it finely so that it’s dissolves in the final dish.
Another ingredients that you don’t typically find in traditional Jamaican style curry chicken is sweet peppers. Adding sweet peppers give this dish a hint of sweetness and added flavor.
Finally, using ground chicken to make curry chicken will not yield a lot of sauce. So adding chicken stock or coconut milk along with the veggies will keep it moist and saucy.
Everyone in my house loves curry chicken so a curry chicken dish for dinner is one of my default or go-to options. Check out my curry chicken meatballs recipe for another easy dinner idea.
Ground curry chicken is also a fantastic leftover. The flavor is even better the next day. Here are the ingredients and instructions. If you do make this dish, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram.
Ground Curry Chicken
- Medium Sauce Pan
- 1 Small Onion -finely chopped
- 1 Small Sweet pepper -finely chopped
- 1 Small Scotch bonnet pepper -finely chopped (Remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp Lemongrass -finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic -grated
- 2-3 Sprig Thyme
- 2 Stalks Scallion -chopped (reserve some green for final dish)
- 2 Tbsp Curry powder
- 16 oz Ground Chicken
- 2-3 Cups Chicken broth or water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat and add onions, sweet peppers and saute for 3-5 minutes or until translucent
- Stir in scallion, garlic, lemongrass and scotch bonnet pepper and curry powder. Continue to stir until fully combined
- On low heat, add ground chicken to sauteed vegetables and curry mixture. Use a spoon or fork to breakdown chicken then add chicken stock and stir well so the chicken stock deglazes the pan
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with a tight lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Stirring occasionally and adding stock or water if needed.
- Remove from heat and add fresh scallions and enjoy! Serve with rice, pasta, cauliflower rice or vegetables.
- For a thicker sauce you can add a little coconut milk or finely chopped potatoes
- If using white ground chicken, reduce simmering time by half