This quick and easy curry chicken salad is satisfying for lunch or dinner and it’s a flavorful alternative to regular chicken salad. Specifically the rich flavor from the curry powder provides a robust flavor to this dish. Adding curry to simple traditional dishes like chicken salad, elevates it to the next level. This version is a healthier option using only white meat chicken and good quality light mayo.
Stuffed in a pita, between 2 slices of bread or used in your favorite wrap, curry chicken salad is delicious and not messy to eat on the go. Just add your favorite veggies, I like to add fresh tomatoes, lettuce and pickles to mine.
It’s also a great lunch box friendly food to send along with your little ones to school or special outings. Be sure to use an ice pack to keep it cool and fresh.
You can also make this with whatever you have handy in your fridge or pantry. If you don’t have curry powder but have a few spices then you can make your own. Here’s another simple recipe, the main ingredients are turmeric, coriander, cumin and all spice.
Here are some great alternatives to the ingredients used below: chopped apple or grapes, raisins instead of dried cranberries, cashews or walnuts, and fresh chives or scallions instead of the red onions. You can even add a little chopped scotched bonnet or pepper sauce to spice it up!
Curry Chicken Salad
- 1 Chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Celery – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Red Onion – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/3 cup Light mayo
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder (see instructions)
- 1/2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add curry powder with 2 tbsp of water and the apple cider vinegar to a small pot and cook for a few minutes on low heat to cook out the raw curry taste.
- Add cooked curry liquid to cooked shredded chicken.
- Add all other ingredients and combine.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge.
- If your chicken is not already cold then shred and leave in the fridge until it cools off for a few minutes
- Add more mayo if using a large chicken breast