Nothing says summer like grilled sweet corn on the cob. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a good roast corn on the cob slathered with butter. In the summer months, I like to fire up the outdoor grill, roast some sweet corn and make spicy grilled corn salad, salsas and even pop some in the freezer for a later date.
For this spicy grilled corn salad recipe, I’m adding juicy tomatoes, crunchy sweet peppers, red onion, scallions and spicing it up with some green chili pepper.
It is tossed in a simple dressing made with fresh lime juice, lime zest, sour cream, paprika, grated garlic, and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
Methods for grilling corn on the cob…
- Oven roasting; rub each ear of corn with softened butter or olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next place in a roasting pan or baking sheet lined with foil in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Turn the corn about half way through. Finally, for the last few minutes increase oven to Broil to get a charred or roasted look.
- Outdoor grill; Preheat grill to high and heat for 10 minutes. Add corn and cook, turning often, until charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- Stove top; I use this method only for the charring. Bake the corn in the oven on high temperature for about 30 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to place corn into a well heated cast iron grill pan. Turn a few times as the corn chars on all sides. Should only take about 5 minutes.
Getting the kernels from the cob
To slice kernels off the cob, use a large plate or bowl. Place an ear of corn oin the center of the bowl or plate and use a sharp knife to slice the kernels. If your corn is roasted enough, it’ll cut and fall right into the bowl or large plate.
This salad is great as a side dish or a wonderful topping for tacos, burritos or even grilled meats and seafood. For other summer salad ideas, check out my watermelon cucumber mint salad. Share your favorite corn salad recipe. I’d love to try it. Comment below. Here’s the full recipe and instructions. Enjoy!
Spicy Roasted Corn Salad
- Grill pan or outdoor grill
Roast Corn Salad
- 2 Cobs Kernels of Corn -grilled with charred sides
- 1/2 Cup Sweet peppers -chopped
- 1/4 Cup Scallions -chopped
- 1/4 Cup Red onions -chopped or thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Green chili peppers -seeds and membrane removed and chopped finely
- 1 Cup Grape tomatoes -cut into quarters
- 1 Clove Garlic -grated
- 1/3 Cup Sour cream
- Juice 1/2 of lime
- Zest 1/2 of lime
- Dash Paprika, salt & pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for roasted corn salad.
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for dressing.
- Fold in a little of the dressing with the corn salad. For presentation, leave some chunks of corn kernels so you'll have big and small bites.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You can enjoy this with a squeeze of lime juice instead of the sour cream dressing.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.