Watermelon salad is cool, easy and healthy. We love to grab a slice or 2 of watermelon especially in the summer time when it is in abundance. But there are so many ways to eat this refreshing, nutritious fruit. For instance, I like to dress it up a bit and make watermelon salad with cucumber and fresh mint. A simple dressing of lime juice, mint and a splash of olive oil makes this salad all the better.
Start by dicing the watermelon and cucumbers. If you’re using watermelon with seeds I recommend removing the seeds or using a seedless watermelon. I chop fresh mint for this recipe since it’s also available in abundance in spring and summer. If you’re like me, I keep a small herb garden in the warmer seasons.
Of course a salad is not a salad without proper dressing. This simple dressing adds a flare to the watermelon salad and helps to balance the sweetness. I use fresh lime juice, a splash of pear infused balsamic vinegar and extra virgin oil olive with a dash of black pepper. No salt, it will pull out all the juices from your watermelon and cucumber.
Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Mint
- Medium bowl, small bowl and a whisk
- 2 Cups Watermelon – diced
- 1 Cup Cucumber – diced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh mint – chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp Apple or White Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- Combine watermelon, cucumber and mint in a medium bowl. Leaving a little of the mint behind for the dressing.
- In another bowl whisk lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper.
- Leave salad and dressing separate until you're ready to serve. Mix together immediately before serving.
You can also add other ingredients to this salad. I’ve tried this with a little feta cheese, red onions, mango or even chili pepper. This watermelon salad with cucumber and fresh mint is great with something spicy. We enjoy it with jerk chicken. What are some of your favorite spring/summer salads…Comment below.