Zucchini fritters with spicy mango sauce are a light, tangy and tasty snack that everyone will enjoy. Zucchini by itself has a very mild flavor so we amped-up the flavor by dressing it with sweet onions, Parmesan cheese, cilantro and scallion. The mango sauce also adds a spicy flavorful bite.
These fritters are low carb and nutritious. Well, as nutritious as you can get with fritters. They’re also easy to whip up, lightly fried and are done in no time.
Preparing zucchini and sweet onion
Firstly, start by cutting the zucchini into small pieces. I cut them into strips instead of grating them because I want the zucchini to still have some texture when it’s cooked. Secondly, I cut my sweet onion the same size as the zucchini and for the same reason , I want that texture. Then I place them in a colander inside of a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt to drain them. I leave them for about 30 minutes to pull out some of the water content. After that I completely drain them by squeezing them inside a cheese cloth.
For the fresh cilantro, I pull off the bigger leaves and keep the smaller leaves and the stem intact. You want to see the whole cilantro leaves in the fritters. It looks really pretty in the end and you get a full bite of zucchini, sweet onion and cilantro in each fritter. Also, adding grated Parmesan cheese with Panko instead of flour helps keep these fritters nice and fluffy.
Let’s talk spicy mango sauce. My mother-in-law heard me debating with my husband on what would make the best sauce for zucchini fritters. After talking through sweet vs. spicy she said why not use both. This spicy mango sauce is one step – into a food processor put some green or slightly green mango, a few garlic cloves, cilantro, scotch bonnet pepper, fresh lime juice and presto! You will need to add a pinch of salt to taste. If your mango isn’t very sweet, you can add a little sugar.
What’s your favorite way to eat zucchini? Comment below and share. Don’t forget to check us out on Instagram for daily postings.
Here is the full recipe and instructions.
Zucchini Fritters with Spicy Mango Sauce
- Medium non-stick skillet or cast-iron pan
- 1 Large Zucchini-slice thinly
- 1 Small Sweet onion-slice thinly
- 1 Cup Cilantro
- 3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese-grated
- 1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 Stalk Scallion
- 3 Large Eggs-beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 Cup Oil for frying
Spicy Mango Sauce
- 1 Small Green Mango-cut sides in 4
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro
- 1/2 Small Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over a large bowl. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 30 minutes. Using a clean cheese cloth, squeeze and drain zucchini completely.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, Parmesan Panko mix, scallion, egg; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula or back of a large spoon and cook until nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove and place on a rack or paper towel and serve immediately.
Spicy Mango Sauce
- Add mango, garlic, cilantro, scotch bonnet pepper, lime juice, sugar and a little water in a food processor and pulse or puree. Add salt to taste.
- Immediately after removing fritters from pan, sprinkle with a little salt.